Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Mental exhaustion

So very tired...

I had an important committee meeting yesterday. After spending 30 hours over the long weekend finishing up a draft of the 38-page-long chapter 4th chapter of my thesis and spilling my guts about it in the meeting, I just can't seem to get off my ass today to do anything that (most other people) might call useful.

I know I've got piles of thesis work to do. And a photo shoot or two that I'd love to be preparing for. And some side-line layout work that would be nice to get out of the way. All of those things sound so.... useful. (Don't they?)

But maybe I'm doing exactly what I need to do today: Relax, recharge, and give myself the chance to really jump into all that stuff full force. I'd argue that useful (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder. For me, I know that random day recharging my batteries (and feeling like an absolute useless lump) can jump-start a few days or even weeks of accelerated productivity.

Now I just need to give myself permission to do just that. Why is that sometimes so hard?

No comments: